February 1997

1 February 1997    Frederick County Genealogy Society (FRECOGS) Newsletter 1
Annual Membership in the Society is $15 for individuals, $20 for families and Life membership for individuals is $100 with proof of age over 50. Meetings are held at the LDS Family History Center, 199 North Place, Frederick, MD, at 7:30 PM on the 4th Tuesday of each month except for July, August and December. 301-698-0406 is the phone ‘number for the Family History Center. Meetings cancelled if Frederick County schools are cancelled.
FRECOGS mailing address: FRECOGS, Post Office Box 234, Monrovia, Maryland, 21770-0234
FRECOGS officers:
Al Werking, President, 8212 Greenvale Drive, Frederick, MD 21702 301/662-2621
Anne W Cissel, Vice-President, 17 Sunhigh Dr, Thurmont, MD 21788 301/271-2141
Judith L Elmer, Recording Secretary, 1319 Danberry Dr, Frederick, MD 21702
Pepper Scotto, Treasurer, PO Box 17, Point of Rocks, MD 21777
Susan Tucker, Member at large, 10809 Lake Square Ct, New Market, MD 21774 (301) 865-1963
Nathan, Robinson, Member at large, 291 Montevue Lane, Frederick, MD 21702
Trudie Davis Long, Newsletter, 8213 Mapleville Rd, Mt Airy, MD, 21771-9713, (301) 831-5781
1    From the President, Document Preservation Suppliers, Election of Officers, The Library, Happy New Year, Gathland Commemorative Program, Interest finder, Meeting format, Dues Reminder, Meeting Cancellation
4    Exchange journal and Society information
5    Member Highlights (New and Renewal, cards submitted, new in the library, correction)    –
6    Ahnentafel of William S Cramer
8    Abstracts, Some owners of “Whiskey Springs Tract.”
11    The European Ancestry of Johannes Yeager/John Hunter who settled in Washington Co, TN in 1783 Abstracts
12    1887 Post Offices Adamstown, Araby, Barry, Bolivar, Bridgeport, Braddock, Broad Run, Buckeystown, Burkittsville, Catoctin, Charlesville, Creagerstown (to be continued)
18    Books, magazines, services
18    Queries
From the Editor
Please be aware that I have had many hardware and software changes to integrate before the Feb 1997 Newsletter was put together, and not enough time to appreciate the possible ramifications-so be on the lookout for more mistakes and errors than usual.
This is also the reason for any possible delay in your receiving the newsletter. Trudie
From The President
At our October membership meeting, our speaker provided those attending with a list of those organizations which supply materials recommended by professional archivists for the safe keeping of historical documents and other preservation needs.
Archivart Division of Heller & Usdan, Inc, 7 Caesar Place, Moonachie, NJ 07074 201/804-8986 (Storage enclosures and furniture. They welcome custom orders)
Conservation Resources International, Inc 8000-H Forbes Place, Springfield, VA 22151 800/6346932 (Storage enclosures)
1 February 1997    Frederick County Genealogy Society (FRECOGS) Newsletter 2
Hollinger Corporation PO Box 6185, Arlington, VA 22206. 703/671-6600 (Storage enclosures) Light Impressions 439 Monroe Ave, Rochester, NY 14607-3717 800/828-6216 (General paper storage)
University Products, Inc PO Box 101, Holyoke, MA 01041. 800/628-1912 (Storage enclosures) Gaylord PO Box 4901, Syracuse, NY 13221-4901 Orders: 800/448-6160; Customer Service 800/634-6307 (Storage materials and conservation supplies
We are pleased to have the opportunity to serve our members, especially those unable to attend our membership meeting, by sharing this information through our newsletter.
As announced in earlier issues of our newsletter, our November membership meeting included the election
of Society officers for the 1997 calendar year.
Nominating Committee chair, Mrs. Shirley Young, presented the slate of those agreeing to serve.
President – Mr. Albert “Al” E. Werking
Vice-President – Ms. Anne Cissel
Recording Secretary – Ms. Judy Elmer
Treasurer – Ms. Pepper Scotto
Newsletter Editor – Ms. Trudy Davis-Long
Members-at-Large – Ms. Susan Tucker (Publicity)
Mr. Nate Robinson (Newsletter distribution)
There being no contested positions, the secretary was instructed to record the unanimous election of the slate as presented.
In the October issue of our newsletter, and before, we provided listings of those new books added to “the library”.
Since we have been asked “what/which library” – we are pausing here long enough to let you know that the Society – having no physical location of its own – has been privileged to share in the space of the Family History Center of the local LDS church. At that location we have placed books and other materials including our vertical file cabinet containing the family file folders holding the correspondence sent us by Society members – notable member requests for family history information on Frederick County families. Located as it is – an expanded service is provided our members as their requests are available to all visitors to the Center as well as to our Society members.
We hope that you and yours have been experiencing a safe and most enjoyable holiday season and that the current season will be followed by a safe and prosperous new yea including every possible success in all your genealogical pursuits.
Your president was privileged to represent your Society at the October services conducted commemorating the 100th. anniversary of the building of the War Correspondence Memorial on top of South Mountain here
1 February 1997    Frederick County Genealogy Society (FRECOGS) Newsletter 3
in Frederick County. The memorial was built by George Alfred Townsend (pen name Gath) on his private land as a tribute to all those serving all wars as war correspondents. The memorial remains as the only ever erected for this group. The keynote speaker for the event was Peter Arnett from CNN.
Our membership meeting and our newsletter are the obvious services provided the members of our Society. It is therefore imperative that every effort be made to insure that both come as close as possible to satisfying the greatest number of needs for our members. Periodically your officers make appeals, in different ways, to the members asking for suggestions for our consideration in improving both services. Our latest attempt is through our Interest Finder. Whenever you renew your membership, you will be asked to complete a copy of the Interest Finder sharing your views regarding our current operation and suggesting ways for us to consider for improved operation and service.
Your Society officers are forever striving to do what they can to insure that the membership meetings are the most enjoyable and useful for those attending – and through the sharing of highlights/speaker handouts with those members not able to be with us.
Those attending our meetings have expressed their strong desire that we concentrate our efforts on (1) the selection and recruiting of meeting speakers and (2) opportunities for the members to network with others of like interests. Therefore, time on our meeting agenda is devoted almost exclusively to the fulfilling of these primary concerns.
Our monthly membership meetings (September through May – except December) feature a program speaker. Each speaker is chosen as one we feel best able to share new and/or updated information on some specific aspect of family history research. We attempt to keep the presentations as broad-based as possible. While we are the Frederick County Genealogy Society, we very much prefer those speakers and presentations which address research resources and/or techniques/methodologies useful both in and beyond the boundaries of Frederick County families.
A portion of the meeting is devoted to asking those attending to introduce themselves and giving the surnames of the family(ies) they are researching. This provides us the opportunity to identify those who might be able to help others attending as well as identifying those who might be working on families named by those corresponding with us. Not infrequently, someone is heard to say, “I need to talk to you after the meeting”.
In much the same spirit, we pass the SURNAMES binder used in the Family History Center in which any researcher is encouraged to place his/her name – and mailing address – along with the surname of any family(ies) he/she has researched or is currently researching. As the book passes, those attending have the opportunity to note the name(s) and addresses(s) of any person(s) having knowledge of the family(ies) of interest.
The OPEN FORUM section of the meeting provides attendees the opportunity to describe any problem(s) they have encountered in their research. They can then use the cumulative experience and knowledge of the gathered group to offer suggestions for problem solution. In this way those attending the meeting can be used as a most valuable resource – a panel of experts. On one night the combined experience of those attending amounted to more than 200 years.
The remainder of the meeting – as limited as possible – is taken up with the necessary business of maintaining the Society.
1 February 1997    Frederick County Genealogy Society (FRECOGS) Newsletter 4
Anytime you receive a current copy of your newsletter, you should check the top line of your address label on the newsletter. If the date found there has been highlighted, it is a reminder that it is time for you to renew. Members more than two months in the arrears are removed from the active membership list.
Just a reminder – during the winter months – anytime inclement weather (snow, ice) results in the closing of Frederick County schools – our meeting will be cancelled as well.
The First Frederick County (MD) Family Researcher Reunion sponsored by Paw Prints, Inc and the LDS Family History Center in Frederick, will be held at the Family History Center on 26 April 1997 from 8 to 5. The primary theme is to have one on one researcher conferences-or family interest groups getting together to exchange notes. The director of the Family History Center, Elaine Harvey, will be offering some speakers in rooms inside the church, for which you will have to sign up. The current plan is to have one (gym size size) room for vendors, societies and groups and another (same size- room for researchers to interact with each other.
There will be a copier available. Do not copy vendor materials.
This is essentially a work in progress, send suggestions for what you would like to have available; share this information with other Frederick County Researchers. Vendors will be invited to attend and offer door prizes; there will be a list available before the conference of who will be attending with the families being researched. Preregistration will be $3/person/list of surnames being researched. 2 spouses each researching different family groups will have their own separate listings.
If you cannot attend but would like to make your or your groups flyers/handouts available, send them to the same address. If enough people are interested in attending from out of state, I (TDL) will look into having a group of rooms available at a local hotel.
To be on a mailing list: Paw Prints, Inc, PO Box 52, Monrovia, MD 21770. Please do not call the Family History Center or Church.
Correction: The correct Internet address for the National archives is http://www.nara.gov
If you are kin to the Hite family (Gen George Patton is-, you might wish to write HFA, Belle Grove, PO Box 137, Middletown, VA, 22645. Vol VI No 5 Family Tree Newsletter The Elen Payne Odem Genealogy Library; http://www.telport.com/— binder/famtree/shtml
The Bureau of Land Management, Eastern State Office, 7450 Boston Blvd, Springfield, VA 22153, has computerized over a million patents dated from the late 1700s to 1908 for the state of Arkansas, Florida, Ohio, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi and Wisconsin. This information is available either by mail or on CD-ROM. Call 703-440-1600 for more information. Other states will be added. As Above
MEMBER HIGHLIGHTS (New and Renewal, surname cards submitted, new in the library)
New LIFE member: CLEM, Thomas R Sr, 11504 College View Dr, Silver Spring, MD 20902-2501 #6 BAUER, BOWER, CLEM/KLEMM, GARVER, SCHWINEHARDT
AYERS, Peg, 4290 Walnut Hill, Troy, MI 48098 MCGUIRE
1 February 1997    Frederick County Genealogy Society (FRECOGS) Newsletter 5
AYERS, Ruth, 425 Mather Hill, Wooster, OH 44691 LEE, BALDWIN
BEALL, Edward, 22630 Ridge Road, Germantown, MD 20876
BRILL, Ruth I, Apt 513 7 W Market St, Tiffin, OH 44883-2767 brillri@bright.net MATTHEWS, HERRING,
BINGHAM, Richard G II, PO Box 202528 , Austin, TX 78720-2528
CRAMER, William S & Patricia A, 11512 Colt Terrace, Silver Spring, MD 20902 WALKER, WILHIDE,
FITZGERALD, Susan, P 0 Box 1396, Frederick, MD 21702-0396 STAMBAUGH, MENTZER, MORT
GATES, Nancy E, Rt 1 Box 221, Waverley, WVA 26184-9751 WEEKLEY
GIBBS, Valerie D, 4205 Queen Mary Dr, Olney, MD 20832-2111
HALL, Wanda Barnes, 810 Stiles Ct, Joppa, MD 21085 BARNES, BRASHEAR/S, HOOD, FLEMING, STEM,
McJONATHAN, David, 1605-L Berry Rose Ct, Frederick, MD 21701
MAUER, Gladys, 601S 12th St, Laramine, WY 82070 N
REVARE, Jack, 4410 W 112th Terr, Shawnee Mission, KS 66211-1719
ROBINSON, Nathan, 291 Montevue Lane, Frederick, MD 21702
SNYDER-BONNAU, Ruth Anne, 1360 Mead Rd, Montgomery, MI 49255 DUVALL, PRICE, BEAR
NELSON, Irmagene, Rte 2, Box 141, West Union, IL 62477-9647 SPANGLER, BIDAMAN.
New Address/Change of address
COMPTON, Michael and Marie, 918-298-468610927 South Canton, Tulsa OK 74137
MOCK Family Historian, Barbara Dittig, Editor, 366 Jacaranda Drive, Danville, CA 94506-2125 Exchange Puget Sound Genealogical Society, 1026 Sidney Ave, Suite 110, Port Orchard, WA 98366-4298 exchange
CLARKE, Patricia Willett KEMP, 7616 Swinks Ct, McLean, VA 22102 KAEMPF/KEMP, WILLETT, DESHAZO
KEMP II, Louis Elbert, 3400 SE Golf Trail, Stuart, FL 34997 KAEMPF/KEMP, WILLETT, DESHAZO
SURNAME CARDS from Lois Godier, 415 Duarte Lane, Lady Lake, FL 32159-9005
FOX, John b 1788 PA or MD; m 12 Apr 1814 Fred Co, MD Elizabeth (poss GRUSHON); d 10 Nov 1870 Thurmont, MD.
FOX, Sophia b 29 Nov 1828/9 Fred Co, MD, m 12 Nov 1844 Fred Co, MD; d 17 Oct 1900 bu Blue Ridge Cem., Thurmont, MD.
GRUSHON, George W b 18 Sep 1817 MD; m 12 Nov 1844 Fred Co, MD FOX, Sophia; d 30 Jun 1867; bu Creagerstown, MD.
GRUSHON, Sarah Ida b 22 Aug 1858 Creagerstown, MD; m 10 Oct 1878 Fred Co, MD; d 1 Jul 1913 Thurmont, MD.
HOSPELHORN, Elizabeth b 1832; m 1 Sep 1850 Fred Co, MD; d 27 Jul 1903 Thurmont, MD. HOSPELHORN, Henry b 1783; m 9 Aug 1813 WHITMORE, Mary Magdelena; d 20 Jun 1852 Fred Co, MD. MULLINEX, Geneva b ca 1908 poss PA; m 27 May 1927 Hagerstown, MD PEARL, Albert William. PEARL, Albert William, b 1908 Hagerstown, MD; m 27 May 1927 Hagerstown, MD MULLINEX, Geneva. PEARL, George Calvin, b 7 Jan 1882; m 10 Apr 1902 Thurmont, .M SHRINER, Mary Elizabeth, d 15 Sep
1957 Hagerstown, MD.
PEARL, John (George) b 5 Jan 1827 MD?; m 1 Sep 1850 Fred Co, MD HOSPELHORN, Elizabeth; d 18 Apr
1 February 1997    Frederick County Genealogy Society (FRECOGS) Newsletter 6
1862 Fred Co, MD.
PEARL, William T b 22 Dec 1854 Fred Co, MD; m 10 Oct 1878 Fred Co, MD GRUSHON, Sarah Ida; d 23
May 1930 Hagerstown, MD.
SHRINER, Cornelius b ca 1850 MD; m Fannie.
SHRINER, Mary (Mae) E b 16 Aug 1877 Hagerstown, MD; m 10 Apr 1902 Thurmont PEARL, George
Calvin; d 21 Oct 191.7 Hagerstown, MD.
WHITMORE, Mary Magdelena b 1795; m 9 Aug 1813 HOSPELHORN, Henry; d after 1870 probably
Thurmont, MD
AHNENTAFEL OF WILLIAM S, CRAMER 11512 Colt Terrace, Silver Spring, MD 20902
Generation 1.
1. William Smith Cramer: b 25 Aug 1914 in Frederick, MD, m. Patricia Ann Parker 27 Nov 1947 in Washington, DC, occ. physicist, mres. Silver Spring, MD.
Generation 2.
2. John William Cramer: b 9 Jun 1884 in Frederick, MD, d. 5 Jun in Washington, DC, occ. machinist, mres. York, PA.
3. Minnie Agnes Smith: b 1 Jun 1885 in York Co., PA, d. 12 May in York, PA.
Generation 3.
4. John Aloysius Cramer: b 31 Mar 1857 in Frederick, MD, d. 5 Dec 1927 in Prince George’s County, MD, occ. coach painter, mres. Frederick, MD.
5. Hannah Elizabeth Stoner: b 11 Feb 1858 in Catoctin Furnace, Frederick County, MD, d. 5 Jul 1932 in York, PA.
6. Henry William Smith: b 16 Jun 1851 in York Co., PA, d. 5 Dec 1940 in York, PA. occ. Tailor, mres. York, PA.
7. Lamanda Barbara Wolfgang: b 29 Dec 1858 in York Co., PA, d. 20 Dec 1890 in York Co.
Generation 4.
8. John Cramer: b circa 1830 in Bavaria, GER, d. 4 Aug 1887 in Baltimore, MD, occ. stage coach driver, mres. Frederick, MD. Im. bef. 1850..
9. Mary Elizabeth Cain: b circa 1835 in Winchester, VA, d. 6 May 1889 in Frederick, MD.
10. William Stoner: b 10 June 1830 in Lebanon Co., PA, d. 27 Dec 1885 in Cumberland Co., PA, occ. worked at iron furnace, mres. Catoctin Furnace, Frederick Co.
11. Mary Ellen Fraley: b 16 Jun 1840 in Frederick County, MD, d. 18 Aug 1917 in Cumberland Co., PA.
12. George Smith: b 19 Sep 1803 in York Co., PA, d. 30 Apr 1871 in York Co.
13. Salome Strickhouser: b 17 Mar 1807 in York Co., PA, d. 25 Mar 1889 in York Co.
14. Eli Wolfgang: b 8 Mar 1826 in York Co., PA, d. 19 Dec 1898 in York, PA.
15. Elizabeth Fair Warner: b 17 Aug 1837 in Carroll Co., MD, d. 12 Jun 1860 in York Co, PA.
Generation    5.
20.     John Stoner:
21.     Hannah Calathan (Caleyon?):
22.     Solomon Fraley: b 20 Jan 1802 in Frederick Co., MD, d. 29 May 1882 in Frederick Co.
23.     Eliza Walker: b 15 Mar 1809 in VA, d. 24 Nov 1864 in Frederick Co., MD.
24.     John George Smith: b 12 Mar 1771 in York Co., PA, d. 1 May 1844 in York Co.
25.     Anna Maria Liebhart: b 10 Feb 1774 in York Co., PA, d. 10 Jul 1857 in York Co.
26.     John Strickhouser: b 9 Nov 1767 in York Co., PA, d. 17 Jan 1822 in York Co.
1 February 1997    Frederick County Genealogy Society (FRECOGS) Newsletter
27. Anna Maria Conrad: b 5 May 1772 in York Co., PA, d. 8 Feb 1845 in York Co.
28. Christian Wolfgang: b 1 Mar 1795 in York Co., PA, d. 9 Nov 1873 in York Co.
29. Catharine Becker: b 27 Jun 1804 in York Co., PA, d. 25 May 1889 in York Co.
30. John Warner: b 10 Jan 1797 in Baltimore Co., MD, d. 16 Aug 1858 in Carroll Co., MD.
31. Anna Barbara Fair: b 15 Nov 1801 in Baltimore Co., MD, d. 23 Jun 1$86 in Carroll Co., MD.
Generation 6.
44. Henry Fraley (Henrich Frohlich): b 14 Feb 1756 in Wichsmannhausen, Hesse Cassel, GER, d. 25 Mar 1830 in Frederick Co., MD, mres. Frederick Co., MD. He was a Hessian soldier who deserted and remained in this country. Arrived with the Hessian troops in 1776. *
45. Anna Margaret WILHIDE: b circa 1760 in Frederick Co., MD, d. 15 Sep 1822 in Frederick Co.
46. John Walker: b circa 1787 in VA, d. in Frederick Co., MD.
47. Elizabeth: b circa 1788 in VA, d. in Frederick Co., MD.
48. George Smith: b 9 Oct 1734 in York Co., PA, d. circa 1806 in York Co.
49. Catherine Elizabeth Gohn: b 16 Oct 1744 in York Co., PA, d. circa 1815 in York Co.
50. John Liebhart: b 1749 in York Co., PA, d. aft 1800 in York Co.
51. Anna Maria Mate: b circa 1750 in York Co., PA, d. aft 1800 in York Co.
52. John Strickhouser, Sr.: b circa 1737 in Flammersfeld, the Palatinate, GER, d. circa 1777 in York Co., PA. Im. 1749.•
53. Anna Elizabeth Kunz: b 24 Jan 1737, m. Oct 1762, d. 16 Jan 1808 in York Co., PA.
54. George Conrad: b circa 1745 in York Co., PA, d. circa 1794 in York Co.
55. Maria Magdalena:
56. Nicolaus Wolfgang, Jr.: b 25 Aug 1768 in York Co., PA, d. 9 Apr 1842 in York Co.
57. Maria Elizabeth Hetrick: b 4 Oct 1768 in York Co., PA, d. 22 Jul 1848 in York Co.
58. Henry Becker: b circa 1775 in York Co., PA, d. circa 1805 in York Co.
59. Anna Maria Schneider: b 18 Mar 1777 in York Co., PA, d. circa 1805 in York Co.
60. John Melchior Werner: b 17 May 1765 in York Co., PA, d. 17 Sep 1841 in Carroll Co., MD.
61. Barbara: b 10 Mar 1762, d. 2 Nov 1842 in Carroll Co., MD.
62. John Fair: b 9 Dec 1774 in PA, d. 9 Oct 1861 in Carroll Co.: MD.
63. Mary Lind: b 6 Oct 1781 in MD, d. 22 Mar 1866 in Carroll Co., MD.
Generation 7.
90. Frederick WILHIDE, Jr.: b 16 Jul 1723 in Schwaigern, Württemberg, GER, d. circa 1792 in Frederick, MD. Im. 10 Sep 1731.*
91. Anna Maria Weimar: m. 25 Jul 1747, d. aft 1792 in Frederick Co., MD.*
96. Henry Smith: b circa 1705 in GER, d. Sep 1771 in York Co. Im. 1731.
97. Anna Margaretha: bin GER, m. in GER, d. in York Co. Im. 1731.
98. Philip Gohn: b in the Duchy of Zweibrucken in the Palatinate, GER, d. circa 1745 in Lancaster
Co., PA. Im. 1738.
99. Maria Sophia Bracher: bin GER, m. in GER, d. circa 1794 in York Co., PA. .Im. 1738.*
100. Henry Liebhart: b circa 1715, d. 1773 in York Co., PA.
101. Catharine: d. 1795 in York Co., PA.
102. John Mate: b circa 1723 in GER, d. 1789 in York Co., PA.
103. Appolonia: d. aft 1793 in York Co., PA.
104. William Strickhouser: b in Flammersfeld, the Palatinate circa 1713, d. in York Co., PA. Im.
108. George Conrad: b circa 1700 in Switzerland, d. 1784 in York Co., PA.
112. Nicolaus Wolfgang, Sr.: b 2 Feb 1711, m. 28 May 1750 in Montgomery Co., PA, d. 11 Feb 1790 in York Co., PA.
113. Catharine Weber: b 15 Dec 1718, d. 28 Mar 1808 in York Co., PA.
114. Jacob Hetrick: b circa 1736 in Gocklingen in the Palatinate, GER, d. in 1789 in York Co., PA, Im. 1753.*
1 February 1997    Frederick County Genealogy Society (FRECOGS) Newsletter 8
115. Elizabeth Nuss: b circa 1740 in GER, m. in GER.
116. Gabriel Becker: b circa 1745 in GER, d. in 1813 in York Co., PA. Im. 1766.
117. Catharine: m. Gabriel Becker circa 1770.
118. Martin Schneider: b circa 1750, d. circa 1815 in York Co., PA.
119. Elizabeth:
120. Melchior Werner: b 1 Aug 1728, d. 27 Sep 1793 in York Co., PA.
121. Ursula Leih: b 8 Jan 1724, d. 27 Sep 1804 in York Co., PA.
124. Christopher Fehr (Fair): b circa 1732 in GER, d. aft. 1810 in Baltimore Co., MD, mres. Baltimore Co. Im. 1753.*
125. Maria Barbara Euchlin: b circa 1740 in Montgomery Co., PA, d. aft. 1810 in Baltimore Co., MD.
126. Michael Lind: b 12 Apr 1741, d. 5 Jul 1827 in Baltimore Co., MD.
127. Elizabeth:
Generation 8.
180. Frederick WILHIDE, Sr.: b circa 1687 in Schwaigern, Württemberg, GER, d. bef. 1747 in Frederick Co., MD. Im. 1731.*
181. Wilhelmina Lucretia Hafner: b in GER, m. 17 Nov 1711 in Schwaigern, d. in Frederick Co., MD. Im. 1731.”
182. Bernard Weimar: b 30 Aug 1702 in Hunspach, Alsace, d. in Frederick Co., MD. Im. 1732.*
183. Barbara Dormant: b circa 1705 in Hunspach, Alsace, m. 29 Jun 1723 in Hunspach, d. in Frederick Co., MD. Im. 1732.*
mres (Main Residence) indicates that this person lived a large portion of his/her life at the place named but was not born and/or died there. occ (Occupation) is given when known except for farmers. The • is used when there is further information on the ancestry of this immigrant ancestor in Europe. The author will be glad to furnish more information.
Case No. C-96-23071 Ordered that the defendants, the below named individuals, their unknown heirs, devisees, personal representatives and administrators of Thomas Shipley and any and all unknown persons having any interest in the hereinafter mentioned property are hereby notified that the Complainants, James Earl Webb, Jr and Cindy Gale Webb, have filed a Complaint to Quiet Title in which they allege that they and their predecessors have occupied a parcel of land situate on Marriottsville Road in the fifth Election District of Carroll County, Maryland, actually, openly, notoriously, exclusively, hostilely, continuously for a period of more than twenty years and claim title to same by adverse possession. The property is said to contain 1 acre and 26 square perches more or less, and was last conveyed by an Indenture to Thomas Shipley, dated November 19, 1859 and recorded among the Land Records of Carroll County, Maryland in Liber G E W No 236, Folio, Etc. Carroll County Times
Being located on the north side of East Patrick St in Frederick, Frederick Co, MD, and being apart of Lot No 50 on the original plat of Frederick, improved with a three-story brick dwelling known as 125 East Patrick Street, and fronting thereon 31 1/4 feet, more ore less, and running back an even width a depth of 186 feet, more ore less.
Together with the right of way to the aforesaid property extending from the alley between Patrick and Church Streets, as set forth in an indenture by and between John J Boyd, Horace Woodward, William S Anderson and A G Quynn, dated may 19 1853 and recorded in Liber E S No 3 folio 150, one of the land records of the county aforesaid: and Subject to the said right of way; the said Grantor does further grant and convey unto the Grantee herein, all that parcel of ground conveyed unto Frank Schley for the purpose of a way or inlet from Chapel Alley in and to the said property herein conveyed, by deep from Rosa Fearhake and William M Hardt, et al, dated October 31, 1883 and recorded in Liber A F No 11, folio 300, one of the land records of the county aforesaid. The News Frederick, MD, Wednesday April 2, 1980
1 February 1997    Frederick County Genealogy Society (FRECOGS) Newsletter 9
Located in the southwest corner of Route 80 and Flinthill Rd, mid-way between Baker Valley Rd and the Monocacy River bridge. Known as Parcel 42, Block 16, Map 95 and recorded among the Frederick County Assessment Records.
…Being part of a tract of land called “Wet Work.” Beginning for the same at a stone planted at the end of the 4th line of a deed from Edward Baker to John Hendrickson, dated September 28, 1860, and recorded in Liber No J W L C 4, folio 360 one of the land records of Frederick County, Maryland, the whole tract containing 24 acres, 2 roods and 16 perches and running thence with the-fifth line thereof, North ….Property to be sold by W Milnor Roberts, Trustee Wednesday April 30, 1980. The News Frederick, MD. Not dated.
Located along both sides of Mountain Rd, just off Route 340 and Route 17 near Knoxville, Frederick County, Maryland.
All those three parcels of land in Petersville Election District #12, Frederick County, MD. The first parcel being situated east of and bordering on the Mountain road leading from Knoxville to Burkittsville and adjoining a former purchase of Joshua Danner of said Gowen B Philpot, Beginning for the lot hereby conveyed at a stone planted at the southwest corner of said Danner’s lot and in the public road and running thence with the south line of said Danner’s lot South 56 1/4 degrees Est 14-12/100 perches to a stone; thence South 31 1/4 degrees West 11 ½ perches to a stone; thence North 56 1/4 degrees West 14-12/100 perches to said public road, and thence with said public road along the middle thereof North 31 1/4 degrees east 11 ½ perches to the place of beginning, containing one acre of land more or less, said property more particularly described in a deed from Gowen B Philpot and Christiana T Philpot, his wife, to William H Giles, dated May 31, 1892 and recorded among the land records of Frederick County, MD in Liber JLJ-1 folio 588.
The second parcel being that land lying west of the road leading from Knoxville to Burkittsville and adjoining the Fauble lot on the south side thereof, Beginning at the Southeast corner of said Fauble lot and running thence with the south line thereof, North 55 1/4 degrees West 22-56/1000 perches to a line of McDiel’s land, thence with said land South 15 degrees West 2 perches to a stake, thence South 55 1/4 degrees East 23 perches to the county road, thence with said road North 11 degrees East 2-28/100 perches to the beginning, containing one-fourth of an acre of land, more or less, said property more particularly described in a deed from Levi Peters and Jennie B Peters, his wife, to William Henry Giles, dated February 8, 1894, and recorded among the land records of Frederick County, MD, in Liber JLJ-7, folio 183.
The third parcel being all that lot or parcel of land containing one-fourth acre, more or less and being all of the same lot of land which was conveyed to the said John W Johnson from John Philpot and others, dated October 1, 1884, and recorded in Liber AF No 11, at folio 19 one of the land records of Frederick County, MD, and further being all the same and real estate which was conveyed from Mary Jane Johnson, widow, and Mary C Hellems and William Hellems, her husband, and Anna May Jones and Nathaniel Jones, her husband, heirs at law of John W Johnson, to William Henry Biles, dated May 17, 1923, and recorded among the land records of Frederick Co, MD in Liber 344, folio 169, et seq. to be sold Wednesday April 30, 1980 by Cleopatra Campbell and William H Poffenbarger trustees. The News Frederick MD. undated.
Sheriff Sale: By virtue of a Writ of Feri Facias, issued out of the District Court of Maryland for Frederick County… all that real estate as conveyed from Charlotte W Yarrow, Treasurer of Frederick Co, MD, unto William J Buchanan, Jr by deed dated November 3, 1977 and recorded among the Land Records of Frederick County in Liber 1034, folio 435.
All that lot or parcel of land described in the survey of George Koogle, “Surveyor, dated April 23, 1869 as part of a tract of land called “Addition to Washington Forest,” and for its outlines beginning at a planted stone at the end of the 6th line of the whole tract, and running thence, according to the bearings of the lines on the 23rd day of April 1869 and with the 7th line of the whole tract, N. 14 degrees W 36 perches unto the Old Hagerstown Road, thence leaving the outlines of the whole tract, West 3 ½ perches to the North side of a rock oak tree; thence S. 19 degrees W. 28 perches to a planted stone; thence S 61 degrees east 23 1/4 perches intersect the aforesaid 6th line of the whole tract, thence with said line North 2 perches to the beginning, containing two and a quarter acres of land.
Being all and the same property conveyed unto Frederick Row (sic) by deed dated November 14,

1 February 1997    Frederick County Genealogy Society (FRECOGS) Newsletter 10
1838, and recorded in Liber H S 8, folio 256 of the Land Records for Frederick County, MD; and devised unto Josiah Rowe by the Will of Frederick Rowe dated August 29, 1863, as recorded in T L M C No 1 folio 11 of the Will Records for Frederick County, Maryland (the survey of George Koogle, dated April 23, 1869 having shown there were actually two and a quarter acres of land more or less). The News, Frederick, MD, Wednesday, October 10, 1979
The Complaint to Quiet Title and for Adverse Possession recites that the Plaintiffs are individuals and reside in Frederick Co, MD; that on June 7, 1982 they purchased real property described in the title deed recorded among the Land Records for Frederick Co, MD in Liber 1172, folio 668; that the Plaintiffs have discovered a “cloud on their title”; that in 1942 the described property was sold to “Worth B Draper and Helen G Draper” by Ira E Draper who had no known source of title; that the chain of title indicates that the land was originally owned by the Catoctin Iron Company and was sold to Hezekial Palmer in 1885 (was there no Liber/folio??-TDL} that the property was in turn sold to Frank Harne in 1886; that there is no source of title from Frank Harne’s purchase of the property in 1886 to Ira Draper’s sale of the property in 1942; that Plaintiffs do not know the names of the possible defendants to this action; and that the Plaintiffs and their predecessors have had exclusive, complete, actual, Open, notorious, hostile and continuous undisputed possession of the described property adverse for more than twenty years. The Mirror October 25, 1995 Frederick County, Maryland.
The Board of Education voted to return the Woodland School property to the board of county commissioners. The land was purchased in 1878 and supported a one room school house. The school board has no further use for this piece of property. The News, Frederick, MD Wednesday, March 5, 1980
Mr Nimrod Norris, uncle of Mr J Cloud Norris, editor of the Baltimore Sunday Telegram, died on the 6th instant in Iowa, in the 70th year of his age. He was born near Middleburg, Pipe Creek district, Frederick county, then a portion of what is now Carroll County. He emigrated to  Iowa about twenty one years ago, and was one of the pioneers of that State. He was a prominent and influential citizen and did very much for the advancement of the agricultural interests and prosperity of Iowa. Voice. Saturday, Feb 19 1876 The American Sentinel
Some owners of “Whiskey Springs Tract.”
RFD #3, Union Bridge, MD. From J Harold Miller, 2653 Marland, Hinckley, OH 44233 (1978)
190 acres now owned by William E Barton. Had an old graveyard on it but stones now gone.
It is 17 miles from Frederick; 2 miles from Johnsville; 7 miles from Monocacy River
Oct 2 1752 Stephen Richards
Jun 13 1789 Proprietaries of Colony of MD to George Fox
Jan 9 1838 Rachel Burges et al to George Fox
Mar 16 1847 John A Warfield trustee to Jacob Fox. Sold to
Mar 26 1847 Noah Warman and John A Hartsock
May 6 1856 Noah Warman and John A Hartsock to Daniel Bowers.
Jan 11 1876 Daniel Bowers sold to Daniel J Todd and wife Mary J.
Apr 3 1876 Daniel J and Mary J Todd sold to George Cramer and wife Catherine Cramer
Jan 7 1880 George Cramer sold to his son Clinton Cramer
Nov 1 1905 Clinton Cramer sold to Wm A Barton and wife Clara L
Nov 2 1925 Wm A Barton sold to Wm E Barton and Etta May Barton.
Benjamin Barton, Dec, brother of William E, owned 100 acres across the road and which is owned
by his former wife, Mrs Molly (Lippy) Barton-Holtzapple, wife of Harry Hotzapple. This land was previously
owned by Daniel Oliver Sayler. (From: Bucky Papers)
In Aiken, SC on the 29th of July, 1879 Elizabeth Porcher, daughter of the late States and S Bramford Gist, and granddaughter of Gen Mordecai Gist, of the Old Maryland Line. Saturday August 9, 1879. The American Sentinel.     1 February 1997    Frederick County Genealogy Society (FRECOGS) Newsletter 11
“Jacob Fletcher, patriarch of the Fletchers of Bedford Co, PA and neighboring Allegany Co, MD arrived at an area south of present day Clearville, PA in 1793. He, his wife, and ten children had made the trek from Tanneytown, MD in what was then Fredrick(sic) Co, now Carroll. While in Tanneytown, Jacob worked as a tailor, and was a lot owner at various times from 1769-on. A neighbor, Joseph Sparks, held several land warrants in Bedford Co, and it was one of these warrants that Jacob settled or ‘improved’ in 1793.
His sons Philip, Jacob, Baltzer, John, Daniel, David, and Michael all became landowners in their own right. John Fletcher, the middle child, bought land surrounding his father’s original settlement in what is now. Monroe Township. John was also principle heir upon Jacob’s death in 1831. At the time of John’s death in 1860, the farm had expanded to 1,000 acres. It is from this line that I am descended. John Fletcher being my 3rd great grandfather.
Their graves and those of several families-Barkman, Mills, Snyder, Miller, Means, and other families prominent n Monroe Township-can be found in Fletcher Cemetery, which lies about a quarter mile east of the junction known as “Five Forks” on Route 26 south of Clearville. The graves are well maintained, including that of ‘J.F.’, died May 1831 aged 89 years. Jacob Fletcher’s crudely inscribed fieldstone is still quite legible.
It is my belief that his Jacob Fletcher was born Jacob Fletzer or Flotzer, in Lancaster Co, PA in 1742. He is mentioned in the will of Jacob Flotzer, who died in York Co, PA in 1758. Orphans court proceedings for this elder Jacob render his surname Fletcher, the closest sounding English name. The younger Jacob is listed in the court record as being 16, and to be put to trade as a tailor apprentice. I believe him to be the same ‘Jacob Fletcher, Tailor’, referred to on the Tanneytown MD deeds mentioned earlier. This Jacob is also the only householder with this name on the 1790 census for Maryland.” Jacob Fletcher of Bedford Co, PA by David A Fletcher, Richmond, VA Ref: F F R B, June 1996 issue, pg 21-22 text {There is no name and address on this to show who sent it to FRECOGS. If you recognize it as yours please let me know. TDL} •
The European Ancestry of Johannes Yeager/John Hunter who settled in
Washington Co, TN in 1783 Abstracts
Compiled by William J Hunter, 16750 Bainbury St, Canyon Country. re al .2C a
After the death of Henry Yeager, Anna Maria (Schaublin) Yeager married (2) Henry Wirt, who arrived at Philadelphia on the ship JAMAICA GALLEY on February 7, 1738, and by whom-she had a
daughter, Catherine Wirt, among other children.    Proof of this
marriage, and her previous marriage to Henry Yeager, is contained in the will of Henry Wirt in York County Prothonotary [Probate] records and he identifies her children by-Henry Yeager in his-4′

Catherine Wirt, daughter of Henry and-Anna Maria (Schaublin, Jager) Wirt, married Peter Ruble and-settled in Washington County Tennessee. Their son, Henry Ruble, married Barbara Hunter,
daughter of John  and Barbara (Bowman) Hunter.
Johannes Jager, son of Henry and Ursula (Wirtz) Jager, baptized at Arisdorf, Basel-Land Switzerland May 14, 1737,
married Barbara Bowman, daughter of Jacob and Varena (    )
Bowman. This marriage probably occurred on Plum Run, a tributary of Conocheague Creek in present day Washington County Maryland about 1760. Jacob Bowman settled on Plum Run in 1755. Plum Run is about five miles WSW from Hagerstown, Maryland.
1 February 1997    Frederick County Genealogy Society (FRECOGS) Newsletter 12
Johannes and Barbara (Bowman) Jager remained on Plum Run on land he purchased (Frederick County Liber K:173) and additional land, part of her dower from her father, until’ 1773 when they sold their Maryland property (Frederick County Liber T:69) and moved to Augusta County Virginia, settling in that part of
Augusta County that Was in Rockingham County Virginia after creation .of Rockingham County in 1778. In Augusta (Rockingham) County they  purchased land which had been patented to Valentine Sevier, father of John Sevier; first Governor  of Tennessee. This property was about  ½ mile  west  of the community of-  Broadway, Virginia on the   South side ‘Of   the North Branch of the” Shenendoah river. The’ land had about three quarters (Ala ‘mile of frontage on the river and included Cedar Creek, a very small tributary of the Shenendoah rivet.
Johannes Jager and his father-in-law,-Jacob Bowman, were
naturalized’-as citizens of England at a court held in

Philadelphia August 8, 1767. They were then residents of
Frederick County Maryland (Washington County was not created
until 1776). They did not take the oath of allegiance, but were affirmed, signifying they were of a pacifist religious
persuasion, probably Church of the Brethren.
In all records of Johannes Jager in Maryland he is called Johannes Jager or John Yeager. However, when he moved to Rockingham County Virginia in 1773 he adopted the English translation of his Germanic name and became John Hunter. In all records in Virginia, except the marriage record of his son John, and later in Tennessee records, he is called John Hunter.
(WAG Bulletin, PO Box 117, Johnson City, TN 37605-0117, Volume 25 #2 1996
Post Offices of Frederick County for the year of 1887
compiled and arranged by Chas. W Miller, Ex-Postmaster at Frederick, Maryland
Adamstown Post Office Is a post village on the Baltimore & Ohio RR 9 miles from Frederick and 64 from Baltimore. It is located in the beautiful and fertile Carroll’s Manor. The farmers are among the most intelligent in the county, and their farms and houses denote their prosperity. The Sugar Loaf and Catoctin mountains are in plain view, and the Tuscarora and Monocacy rivers flow near by. The land is limestone and clay subsoil, and sells at from $50 to $125 per acre. White and black oak and hickory composes the timber standing. Churches and school houses are situated in the village. The population is about 175; the town does a good business, Mr. Geo. T Kohlenberg being the most enterprising man of the village, he is possessed of excellent business capacity, and full of energy, quite a business is carried on by him in the various trades and callings in which he is interested and engaged. The following farmers receive mail here:
Belt, McGill    Harwood, Wm T    Specht, Michael    •
Brady, D C    Johnson, Archibald C    Thomas, F G& J F
Brady, Geo. A    Kline, Jacob R    Thomas, Dan’l P
Bell, L W    Krantz, Wm H    Thomas, Josiah S
Crist, Grafton B    Moffitt, Mrs Benj    Thomas Lewis E
Crist, Jacob    Myers, Chas. W & Bro    Thomas, Thos. S & sister
Delashmutt, Mrs B    Michael, Wm H         Thomas, Christian C
Dutrow, Sam’l P    Moffitt, Robt    Thomas, Curtis W
1 February 1997    Frederick County Genealogy Society (FRECOGS) Newsletter 13
Dutrow, Ms M L & A R Dutrow, R Claude Dutrow, Lucretia C Fitzsimmons, J Hargate, Edward S Heffner, L F C Harwood, Mack N Hoffman, Wm N    Padgett, Geo. W Plummer, Thos. G Rohr, Elizabeth Rhoderick, M H Snouffer, A T Snouffer, Mrs L E Snouffer, Geo., Jr Smith, Henry E    Thomas, Sam’l C Thomas, J Franklin Thomas, Stephen A of G Thomas, Dr Jacob White, B F & Bro Williard, G W
White, John
Araby Post office is on the Baltimore and Ohio RR 3 miles from Frederick City, and the Junction of the branch of the B & 0 RR leading to Frederick. The situation is on the west bank of the Monocacy river, which is here spanned by a substantial iron bridge, built by the B & 0 RR, over which long trains of ladened(sic) cars bound East and West are hourly moving. It was at this point that the memorable battle of Monocacy was fought in 1864 between Gen Early of the Confederate army, and Gen Wallace of the Union army. No marks are left of this terrible struggle except a Minnie ball now and then can be found imbedded in the old rails and posts that stood at that day. The land is first quality of lime stone and slate, and farms sell at from $50 to $120 per acre. The large merchant mill of James H Grambrill is located across the river, and runs continuously at full capacity, making what is known as the “Araby Family Flour”. Araby is the home of Francis Mantz, Esq. train master eastern division B & 0 RR. Among the most prominent citizens who reside near Araby are Col C Keefer Thomas, John T Worthington, John T Best, John J Cutsail and others. The following farmers receive mail here:
Best, John T    McCroskey, George W    Null, John J
Cutsail, John F    Mahoney, D W    Shafer, Wm
Dixon, John    Mentz, Francis    Thomas, C K
Feinhour, B U    Myers, Mahlon    Waltz, Frank W
Hahn, Harvey    McCroskey, Thomas    Worthington, John
Barry Post Office is known as Berlin Station on the Baltimore & Ohio R R, 15 miles from Frederick and 75 mites from Baltimore. The town is situated on the north bank of the Potomac river, and is connected with Virginia by ferry. It has great advantages for trade, and does a large business in fertilizers, grain and coal. The merchant mills of Messrs Jordan, Crampton & Co, who manufacture a superior brand of flour, is located here. The land is good and sells at from $35 to $70 per acre. Church and school house in the village; population about 300, The following farmers receiver their mail at this office:
Eagle, Mrs Charles W    Potterfield, Luther    Wenner, Mrs Charles F
Frazer, John T    Rhoderick, John    Wenner, Wm W
Houpt, Jonas    Thomas, John E    Wenner, Mrs Mary C
Potterfield, Jonas
Bolivar Post Office is pleasantly located on the National pike, 10 miles from Frederick city, and 16 miles from Hagerstown. The land is clay and quartz, and well improved and in a high state of cultivation; sells at from $50 to $80 per acre. This village is at the foot of South Mountain and in 1862 stood between the advancing army of McClellan and the retreating army of Lee. Considerable carnage was enacted at and around it, and it was near here that Gen Reno fell while leading his victorious army up the slopes of the surrounding hills. Time has entirely eradicated the devastation of that year, and now the visitor will witness prosperity, peace and plenty in this locality. The farmers here are thrifty, intelligent and hospitable. Churches and schools near the village. Daily mail from Frederick City. Population 60. The following farmers receive mail here.
Bowlus, John A C    Koogle, David H    Schildknecht, H A
Beachley, John W    Koogle, Mrs Dan’l of C    Sigler, John M
Beachley, John H    Kepler, Wm J        Sheffer, Martin L
Bowles, Wm H        Mumford, M J        Shank, Peter
1 February 1997    Frederick County Genealogy Society (FRECOGS) Newsletter 14
Beachley, Jonas Brandenburg, J P Derr, Elizabeth Horine, George W Houpt, Jacob Horine, Mrs John H Houpt, Jacob M Koogle, Daniel Derr, Ann R C    Main, George W Mentzer, John Miller, John L Miller, George Reeder, Daniel Routzahn, John H of Eli Slifer, Mrs Annie Smith, Daniel of J    Shoemaker, Daniel
Swope, Ezra
Shank, Jacob
Schildtknecht, Susan
Warrenfeltz, Hezekiah
Younkins, J W
Younkins, M L
Younkins, C M
Bridgeport Post Office is 3 miles from Emmitsburg, and near the Carroll county line; land fair, and produces good crops of wheat, corn, hay etc. Churches and school houses convenient. Water first-class. The following farmers receive mail at this office.
Agnew, John    Hockensmith, J J    Neill, Abram
Bower, Adam    Hockensmith, Jno.    Ohler, John T
Brown, Jacob    Hill, Judson    Ohler, David
Dewes, Wm    Hoover, Jno. D    Ott, Samuel
Eckard, John    Harner, Chas.    Smith, Absalom
Gardner, Wm P    Maxwell, Harry    Shoemaker, Amanda
Gillelan, Geo. L    Valentine, Geo. S
Braddock Post Office. This post office has been but recently established. It was formerly known as Fairview, and is beautifully situated at the base of the Catoctin mountain, immediately on the National pike leading from Frederick, being about 3.5 miles west of Frederick city. This road was cut by General Braddock in his Fort DuQuesne campaign, and a most excellent spring of water is bubbling from the adjacent hills covered by a huge mountain flat stone said to have been laced there by his troops during their encampment. Several fine buildings have been erected at and near the place within the past few years. The most prominent of which are the summer homes of John H Williams, Esq., president of the Frederick County National Bank of Frederick, and ex-Marshal E Y Goldsborough. The residences of these gentlemen are built in the most modern style, and with every convenience. There is here a fine church and an excellent public school, and as good water and pure air as can be found anywhere in the county. The have two well-to-do stores, and the people generally are thrifty and prosperous. Mr Daniel M Grumbine is the postmaster and gate keeper, and his hand is seen in all that is calculated to build up and improve the place or its surroundings. He is one of the fixtures of the place, and he and his good lady are always engaged in some laudable work. Mr Wm Mercer is also one of the enterprising influential citizens of the .place. Mr John H Williams and family have been quite an accession to the material portion, and the charities which they always bestow with liberal hands are seen on every side. The farms are well improved, producing good crops, and sell at from $30 to $120 per acre. The following farmers receive mail here:
Abb, John    Jackson, Adolphus    Riddlemoser, M
Bast, Elias    Kaufman, Jesse    Summers, H W
Bast, Simeon L    Kline, Chas. S    Stup, Josiah
Cutsail, Geo. W    Kaufman, Jno. C    Summers, S M
Grove, Elias of R    Keller, Jno. D    Young, Jno. of C
Hedges, Mrs Emma    Mercer, Wm E    Wiles, Thos. Mc
Hett, Henry    Railing, Geo. H    Zimmerman, S J
Holter, Peter
Broad Run Post Office is most pleasantly situated in the heart of the Middletown valley, seven miles from Knoxville and five miles from Claggett’s, on the Washington County Branch of the B & 0 RR„ from which a daily mail is received and dispatched. It is surrounded with the richest lands and most beautiful buildings in the county. It produces large crops of wheat, corn, potatoes, hay, etc. The land is clay and rich loam, mostly cleared, and sells at from $80 to $125 per acre. Churches and schools convenient. The water-is of
1 February 1997    Frederick County Genealogy Society (FRECOGS) Newsletter 15
around is so well drained that epidemics are unknown. The following
a superior quality, and the country farmers receive mail at this office: Ahalt, Benj S
Arnold, Mahlon Bowlus, Stephen R Bowlus, Frank T Bowlus, Lewis H Beachley, Dan’l of J Boyer, Oliver
Boyer, Hanson  Boyer, Jno. C & C W Grove, Mrs Wm A House, G J R Huffer, Jacob M Huffer, Joseph D Harley, Cornelius F Huffer, David Kefauver, W Scott
Shafer, Geo.
Slifer, Jno. M
Williard, Harriet Williard, T A Williard, Dewalt Wilson, Robt Whip, Jno. D
Buckeystown Post office is one eighth of a mile from the Station of the same name on the Baltimore and Ohio RR and 6 miles from Frederick. There is a splendid turnpike leading to the place from Frederick. The town is one of the oldest in the county being over 100 years since its first settlement. A house still stands, in good condition, in which a store was conducted 80 years ago. Buckeystown is at the head of the far-famed Carroll’s Manor, and contained a population of 400 persons. It has two stores, a large tannery, owned and operated by Daniel Baker & Sons, and near by are the extensive lime works of Otho J Keller and the Baker Bros within a short distance of the place, along whose banks can be seen the marks of tomahawks on the huge rocks, and also the Indian burying grounds near by. On the west bank of the river is the large flouring mills of Rice & Blessing, and on a stream close by, which empties into the Monocacy, is the grist and saw mill of C H Millard, Esq.; both of these mills are within one quarter of a mile of the place. There are four churches in the village, including the colored M E Church. No liquors have been sold in the village for 40 years, and at a recent session of the Legislature a law was passed prohibiting its sale within two miles of the place. The public school building is as fine as any in the county outside of Frederick. The schools are for males and females, in separate departments. The town is quiet and healthy, and is decidedly a place of homes- no place in the county more attractive in this particular. The farms are elegantly improved and in a high state of cultivation, and  sell at from $80 to $150 per acre. The farmers are intelligent, and their well filled barns, fine- residences and rich meadows indicate their prosperity. Among the most prominent persons who receive mail are here: Wm G Baker, Daniel Baker, Wm T Chiswell, A F Nicodemus, Eli Nicodemus, L A Hildebrand, Lee Simmons, E T H Delashmutt, John A Kessler, Otho J Keller and Jos. Grinder. The following farmers receive their mail at this office.
Baker, Dan’l    Hildebrand, L A    Nicodemus, Eli
Baker, Wm G    Keller, Otho J    Runkles, E W
Chiswell, Jno. N & Bro    Kessler, Jno. H    Rogers, James P
Chiswell, Wm T    Kessler, Frank A    Simmons, Mrs Eliz G
Cook, Jno. W    Knode, Jerry    Shaeffer, Jno. A
Crist, Wm H    McKinney, A F    Simmons, Frank
Cutsail, Herring    Myers, Geo. W    Simmons, Lee H
Dixon, Benj S    Moore, Wm H    Simmons, Teresa
Grinder, Joseph    Nicodemus, A W    Thomas, Samuel
Groff, Jno. P
Burkittsville Post Office formerly Harley’s PO received its first name from the store keeper, and its present one from Henry Burkitt, who owned the village site. Its churches, the German Reformed and Lutheran, took root about 1830 and have a common cemetery. The Lutherans erected, in 1866, a seminary which is a picturesque feature of the town, and which of late is a summer boarding house. The village, with its spires and cupolas, and long ravelled(sic) street, full of stores and shops, is one of the most agreeable in the State, and well contrasts with Jefferson, at the eastern summit of the valley, as Burkittsville is at the western rise, upon the South mountain’s forehills, whose gaunt ridge and giant hillocks make this village like the model for that in the Catskills to which Rip Van Winkle descended after his nap. A tannery is at the west end of the town, and a pottery on the battle road near by, and fine springs of water, gushing from the sandstone layers of the mountain, bathe the adjacent fields and give quality to the whisky made at two distilleries in
1 February 1997    Frederick County Genealogy Society (FRECOGS) Newsletter 16
the environs. The population of Burkittsville is about four hundred. It is midway between the Potomac river at Knoxville and Middletown, and about six miles from each, and only two miles and a half, through Crampton’s or Townsend’s gap, to the railroad station of Claggett’s, on the Hagerstown Branch of the B & 0 RR, which makes it the most convenient village in the middle and upper part of Catoctin valley to reach from the outside world. In its vicinity live the descendants of James Monroe, the Governeurs, O’Donnells, Carrolls, Claggotts, etc. The Gap, a mile and a half above the town, has a summit eleven hundred feet above the sea, and is the most easy and natural of the South Mountain gaps in Maryland to cross through, since Pleasant valley, on the west of it, which is much higher than Catoctin valley, gives it an upland back, so to speak, at least five hundred feet above the Potomac at Weverton. The sandstone of which South Mountain is composed descends or dives at the gap, so that at the depth of fifty four feet constant pure water has been found by digging. In 1862 the left wing of McClellan’s Army of the Potomac, composed of Franklin’s whole corps, was marched from Jefferson to Burkittsville in one afternoon. Sunday, September 14th, and at once put in order to carry the gap, so as to relieve Harper’s Ferry. To the north of Burkittsville Slocum’s division was extended to near the house of Mr David M Whipp, with Bartlett’s brigade on the right, nearest to a ravine and spring which start from half way up the gap. Torbert’s and Newton’s brigades filled up the remaining space to Burkittsville, and Brooks’ brigade was placed to the west and south of Burkittsville to scale the almost vertical crest of the mountain. The regular roads, which the Confederates were covering, approach each other and meet at the summit of the gap. -The right of the Union army, therefore, had merely to break the Southern line, which was formed in a stone walled road at the base of the mountain, and to cut it in two by pressing up Whipp’s ravine. By a courageous and bloody charge this was done, and the enemy, seeing that they were to be cut off from the gap, fled through the woods, pursued by the charging brigade, General Bartlett riding his horse to the top. There Brooks came in over the cone to the south of the gap and took a meeting house full of prisoners. Howell Cobb, late Secretary of the Treasury, commanded the Confederates, and suffered much animadversion for conducting so brief a. defense. General Newton, who was made a Major General for this affair, captured his own brother, wounded, in the gap. Soon after Crampton’s gap was carried the victorious soldiery there heard their comrades fighting in Turner’s gap, seven miles northward. The gap was cleared of some wood and stone and a few rods of stone wall erected at the angle of the cross roads, when, in 1884, Mr George Alfred Townsend, a stranger to the place, came through it from Harper’s Ferry to make some studies for his war romance of “Katy of Catoctin, or The Chainbreakers”. The magnificent view of the twin valleys afforded there led him to buy the ground and enclose it, and to build, the two following years, his seat called “Gapland”, which has been improved with stone houses, verandahs, studies, etc, till it seems to be quite a village. In the court of the Dutch gabled block behind his library is a figure of a fighting gladiator to mark the action of 1862, with the inscription, “I sought for a Man that should stand before me in the Gap for the Land:” (Ezekiel, xxii 30). Mr Townsend’s parents came from Worcester county, Maryland, and he was for years a correspondent in the war and at Washington, and published his novel called “The Entailed Hat” while building Gapland. Prominent among the enterprises near the village are the two extensive distilleries of Outerbridge Horsey and John D Ahalt, above referred to. The farmers, as a class, are intelligent and thrifty. Farms are well improved and sell at from $70 to $110 per acre. The following farmers receive mail here:
Ahalt, Carlton-    Ahalt, Mathias S     Arnold, Thomas     Arnold, David     Arnold, Joshua     Arnold, Martin
Ahalt, Samuel     Alexander, Tilghman     Burger, Leander     Carper, Elizabeth     Crampton, 0 P
Derr, Daniel    Fout, M Wm    Guiton, L W    House, Grove R
Horine, Exra S     Hightman, Joseph     Horine, John A     Hightman, John     Harley, Josephus E
Horine, Luther A T     Horsey, Outerbridge     Hightman, Thomas     Jones, Mrs E R
Maught, Andrew C H     Norris, John 0     Norris, Wm H     Orrison, Mrs M G     Smith, David L
Shafer, W J     Shafer, Martin T     Shafer, Peter of H     Sigler, Daniel
Sigler, Mrs Hannah     Shafer, Peter H     Tridapoe, George
1 February 1997    Frederick County Genealogy Society (FRECOGS) Newsletter 17
Ennis, Mrs Joseph    Karn, Ezra L    Whipp, David M
Ennis, Wm    Koontz, Samuel C    Young, Joseph of D
Flook, John of H    Koontz, Robert J    Zecker, Dawson I
Catoctin  Furnace Post Office This office is located in Mechanicstown election district, immediately on the Frederick and Emmitsburg turnpike, being 12 miles from Frederick and 3 miles from Mechanicstown. The Catoctin iron furnaces are located here, and were originally founded by the Johnsons about the Revolution. These works have been operated by a number of firms, but were last purchased in 1858, by the father of Jno. B and Jacob M Kunkel, from Fitzhugh and Kunkel, the business was conducted by J B & J M Kunkel until 1866, when Col Jno. B Kunkel became the sole proprietor, and continued to operate it up to his death in 1885. It is now owned and run by the Catoctin Iron Company, the children of Mr Kunkel being the largest share owners. The Company is organized with the following officers: President, J K Wilson of Baltimore; Treasurer, Steiner Schley of Frederick; manager Wm P Kunkel. The furnaces have an annual capacity of 10,000 tons and produces first class metal for forge and car wheel, about 11,000 acres of land are tributary to the works, and the ore is obtained about 1.5 miles from the furnace and transporter over a railroad owned by the company; 150 men are employed to conduct the business. The Monocacy Valley Railroad from Mechanicstown to the furnaces, has recently been completed, and will greatly facilitate the transportation of the iron and the Company will not be under the expense of keeping so large a number of teams to get the products to market as they heretofore were compelled to keep. Some of the farms in the vicinity are well improved and productive, usually selling at from $30 to $50 per acre; the soil is limestone and red land. The population is about 400. The following farmers receive mail at this office:
Baker, Geo.    Domer, Wm    Layman, Geo. W
Bussard, Geo. H    Hesson, Jno.    McPherson, Mrs Dr W S
Charlesville Post Office is pleasantly situated seven and a half miles northwest from Frederick, from which point a daily mail is received and dispatched. The place takes its name from Charles Broadrup, Esq., an enterprising, wealthy citizen, who owns most of the -land in the village and several fine farms in the neighborhood. The land in the neighborhood is productive and well improved, has plenty of pure water flowing from fine mountain springs, and Tuscarora stream passes through the village, its waters serving to run the grist mill owned by Mr Broadrup. The soil is red and limestone, and sells at from $40 to $80 per acre. The farmers are industrious, thrifty and hospitable. Valuable ores have been found in the mountains near here, some gold and silver; but for want of capital and a fear to risk, the mines have never been operated. Churches and schools in the village. Population 100. The following farmers reside here:
Angelberger, Lewis Broadrup, Charles Dutrow, Clinton J Fout, Charles Holtz, Albert B Holtz, John Michael, Abraham McDevitt, John E Ramsburg, Uriah    Ramsburg, Lewis S Ramsburg, Samuel Stull, William E Stull, George Smith, Perry G Stull, Wm H Stull, Wm M Wachter, Ezra C    Wachter, Henry
Wachter, L F of P
Wachter,- Lewis H
Wachter, Philip
Wachter, John P
Wachter, Wesley
Zimmerman, E J
Creagerstown Post Office is situated on the Emmitsburg road, 14 miles north of Frederick City, 1.5 miles from Monocacy river, and 2 miles from Loy’s station on Western Maryland Railroad, from which a daily mail is received and dispatched. The land is red loam and sells at from $40 to $60 per acre; water is good, and neighborhood healthy. Lutheran, Reformed and Church of God is in the village, and also a fine public school; population about 200. Among its prominent citizens are Jeff Krise, E E Krise, W W Zimmerman, Michael Zimmerman, J L Miller, Jacob Wiles, David Whitman and others. Following farmers receive mail here:
Ahalt, John M    Harbaugh, Mrs M A    Ridenour, Sol
Black, Mrs A A    Hankey, Peter    Stevens, Charles
1 February 1997    Frederick County Genealogy Society (FRECOGS) Newsletter 18
Baltzell, Levi        Domer, George H        Dorcas, Frederick        Putman, G H
Domer, John D        Derr, Mrs Mary E        Derr, Cornelius            Putman, John J
Eyler, Wm        Fox, Baltzer            Myers, George W         Ramsburg, George
Favorite, Henry        Graham, Mrs George A        Miller, Dr J L             Ramsburg, Henry
Grinder, Mrs M M    Hankey, Frederick        Matthias, Philip         Staub, Eugene D
Hull, Daniel L        Hankey, Isaac L        Martz, George D         Shaw, George R
Hoffman, J H          Hull, William            Ohler, Mrs Mary A         Staub, John W
Krise, Ed E        Myers, William B P         Ogle, John S             Speak, John T
Speak, Charles E     Shyrock, George W         Whitmore, David         Wiles, Jacob
Powell, Daniel C     Speak, William J         Warner, David M         Warner, John W
Warner, George B     Zimmerman, M         Zimmerman, W W

Index to Administration Account Records of Frederick County, 1750-1816 by L Tilden Moore. paper 57 pgs. $5 $2.50 plh 1st item; $.50 each additional item, from Family Line Publications, Rear 63 E Main St, Westminster, MD 21157 800/876-6103
The Historian’s Guide to Loudoun County, Virginia; Volume 1, Colonial Laws of Virginia and County Court Orders. 1757-1766 by John T Phillips, II, published by Goose Creek Productions, Leesburg, VA; 618 pgs hardback; index of 2500 names and 500 geographic locations. $38.28; VA sales tax $1.72; slh $4.20 & 1.70 {I suspect this is a first book/2nd book handling charge-TDL}
The Braddock Expedition and Fox’s Gap in Maryland, by Curtis L Older, 1995. Soft cover 6 x 9″, 290 pgs, $22.50 Order from Family line as above.
Revolutionary Patriots of Frederick County, Maryland 1775-1783 by Henry C Peden, Jr 1995. Soft cover 6 x 9″, 412 pages, $30. Order from Family Line Publications as above.
Seeking info on p of Martha Agnew DANNER, b Freedom Twp, Adams Co, PA 31 Mar 1802 and d Emmitsburg, Fred Co, MD 8 Jun 1894. she and h Joseph DANNER are buried in the Presbyterian Cem. in Emmitsburg. Obit in Gettysburg Star Sentinel said Martha b near Moritz’s in Freedom Twp d/o John AGNEW who moved to Emmitsburg in 1814 half sister of Mrs Sophia Agnew HORNER. Will of David AGNEW (1777-1843) h/o Margaret Logan AGNEW (1785-1853) lists his heirs as John AGNEW Jr and David AGNEW, s/o his brother John AGNEW. These AGNEWs were all living in Emmitsburg. Would like to exchange data with anyone researching AGNEW. Edward F Cooley, .1110 West Abram St, Arlington, TX 76013-6927. (Our Name’s The Game Sept 1996)
COON, KUHN, KUNTS/KUNTZ: Ongoing effort on the Internet to share data and queries on this family: E-mail: COON@rmgate.pop.indiana.edu or NOXQCEZ@aol.com. Snail mail: David. Coon, PO Box 4305, San Leandro, CA 94579-0305.
BROOKS William BROOKS was b 1745 in PA> In 1776 he was in Fred Co, MD where he enlisted for one year in the Rev War. Fought in battles of Haarlem, Long Island and White Plains, NY. Was
1 February 1997    Frederick County Genealogy Society (FRECOGS) Newsletter 19
wounded at White Plains. About 1780 migrated south to Guilford Co, NC and about 1789 on to Rutherford Co, NC. His wife was Nancy. He d in 1844 at 99 years of age. Need any data about him while in PA or MD, esp his parents & his wife. Roy Brooks, PO Box 661, Forest City, NC 28043-0661
HARDING, KEMP: John Lackland HARDING m Henrietta KEMP, d/o Lewis G Kemp in 1855. They were m in Frederick Co, MD and then moved out of state. Looking for info on ancestors of both. Thomas Harding, 242 31st St, Hermosa Beach, CA 90254.
PEARL: Looking for info on Philip PEARL/PERRELL/PERRIL. Betti More, 1606 Marker Rd, Middletown, MD 21769
MARKS: Need info on MARKS family. These bros were born in Frederick Co ca 1750-60: William, David, Thomas, John, Frederick, Joseph, Elijah and Joshua. Most migrated to Harrison Co, VA in the early 1800’s. I am looking for David father of Thomas b 1785 Frederick, MD, and his unknown wife. Tim Ramsey, Rt 2 Box 220D, Hillsboro, KY 41049
INKS: I believe my ancestor, Thomas INKS settled in or around Frederick, MD during the Revolution and was a private from the state of MD. I am interested in finding his Regiment and Co; he died Fayette Co, PA before 7 Oct 1822. Irene E Vezzani, 29D cott Dr, Dravosburg, PA 15034
HILL, PEACH, RIDGELEY: Researching Henry HILL b ca 106 d 1773 Antietam, MD m Elizabeth PEACH b 1704. Ch: Robert, Joseph Isaac, Henry Truman m Alice RIDGELEY, Philip, Thomas, John, Elizabeth, Catherine, Ann all b MD. Elizabeth may be dau of Joseph PEACH, Sr. Betsy Scott, PO Box 1052, Salem, OR 97308
SHOWNlSCHAUN, SHOWAN, WHITCRAFT: Searching for parents of Peter SHOWN; SCHAUN, SHOWNE, SHOWAN. Peter b ca 766 MD; m 5 Sep 1789 Sarah WHITCRAFT. Their son Edward bin MD ca 1794. Peter SHAWN listed on Poll of Presidential Election 1796 in Frederick Co, MD. David SHAWHAN was also on the list. Need places ‘Showan Hunting Ground’, and Showan, Baltimore Co, MD identified. Peter SHOWAN listed on 1812 tax list and 1830 and 1840 Federal Census in Ohio Co, KY. His son Peter, Jr listed 1850. Edward SHOWAN moved to Montgomery Co, IN in 1828. Peter SHOWAN, Sr died 6 Jul 1849 Mont. Co. IN and bu Grady-Showan Cem. Wayne Twp, Mont Co, IN. Phyllis A Boone, PO Box 143, New Richmond, IN 47967.